One of the reasons I transitioned away from my psychotherapy practice and into the profession of coaching is that it is action driven and future-focused. Clients come to their initial coaching call with me naturally wanting to talk about their today, their present. But generally feel stuck. Needing some guidance and mentoring on how to move forward and tangible tools to connect those dots.
It’s easier for my clients to talk about their present, but they will go through a greater transformation in helping them become their future.
It’s a familiar story: You’re busy all day, working non-stop, multitasking in a misguided attempt to knock a few extra things off your to-do list, and as the day comes to a close, you still haven’t gotten your most important work done.
It’s all just busy work. Busy does not equal productive. Busy is running on a treadmill but the difference between the treadmill you are running on and the running you are doing to get to a destination AND REACH IT, are two different things.
Today get in touch with your future Self. The small voice inside your body knows what you want to do, where you want to be. The mind, the other voice located in your brain tells you all the stories to keep you focused on that inbox of yours, as time ticks on. The inbox that you can manage with your eyes closed. You’re buying into all the reasons the mind is giving you why you don’t have “time”, why you are “too busy” to dedicate time to your future Self.
Today make the intention to spend time on your future even when the mind is telling you there are more important things to do. To truly be productive and create forward movement means to spend time on things you may not yet “believe” are productive but do it anyway.
Your future Self won’t take shape without some form of daily action. And I’m talking 5 minutes.
Can you commit to 5 minutes of YOU TIME today? What will it be?
- Look into headhunters toward leveling up your professional employment.
- Explore apartment listings in that new city you envision yourself living in to get an idea of cost.
- Sign up for that computer marketing class to add to your toolkit.
- You see yourself living in Spain – look into that Spanish 101 online course.
- You’d like to work for yourself one day and own a flower shop – ask your neighborhood florist their story (we all love to talk about our professional journey!).
If you’re reading this and anxiety, fear, discomfort, uncertainty (to name a few) start to rise up, know that it’s just energy responding to looking into something new, the unfamiliar. You’re honing a new skill, in time it will be familiar. The present isn’t going away, its here now. Soon your future will be the present.
What do you want to do to get YOU ready for it today? What’s your 5-minute action toward your future Self going to be? I’d love to hear yours if you care to share, please feel free to leave yours in the comment section below or feel free to email me.
Ready for a Gift?
Stuck on having the clarity about who you envision your future Self as being? Hop on a 30-minute coaching call and experience being coached, MY GIFT TO YOU.
On the call we will:
- Help you get started on tackling a challenge you are dealing with;
- Discuss the benefits of working together, and
- You will walk away with at least 1 coaching tool and strategy that you can immediately put into action!
Photo credit: Kiana Bosman on Unsplash